I am currently working as a Barista for Starbucks. I have been there for almost 2 years now and I still enjoy it. I love working with everyone there. I love making drinks and making people happy or at least making their day better by handing them a cup of coffee before they go about their day. Today was one of the most stressful days to work for a couple of reasons.
1. Lots of rushes in about 4 hours.
2. One of the groups of people ordered 12 drinks total for one order which 11 of them were frappucinos and 1 ice coffee.
3. Some of the lids didn’t fit onto the cups causing me to spill 4 drinks and make my hands cramp from trying to get the lids on.
4. I soon got a headache about after the 3rd hour of work.
5. My coworkers were kind of being mean to me even though I know they were joking like we always do whenever I’m working with them. Which made my headache get worse. I didn’t say anything to them about it, because I’m not the type of person to make others feel bad without them realizing that they are making me feel worse.
6. A customer had the audacity to say that he ordered a different drink instead of the one that was stickered onto the cup. And customers usually do that to try and get an extra drink for free. Too bad we didn’t give this customer his free one since we know he was trying to get it.
And 7. I was basically running every position in the store besides the shift lead. The positions are bar (making hot and cold drinks), DTO/DTR (Taking orders and ringing up customers in drive thru), Front (taking orders in the lobby), warming station (getting appropriate pastries and food items), and floater (getting essential items needed for bar position like ice, lids, cups, syrups, etc.) which was extra stressful.
Despite all this happening today, it was good to hear from everyone else saying that I am one of the strongest baristas in the store, I should consider being a shift lead (which I already inquired about), that I did a really good job today, and that without me nights would be a drag and the store would be a mess. All I can say is I love the barista life. Starbucks has always treated me right since I got hired. It taught me so much about discipline, how to handle tough situations, and this may sound cheesy but strangers can become family just by working together for a couple of hours. This is an experience I will never forget.
I try so hard and do everything I can to make sure my parents are happy, but it’s like nothing is good enough for them; especially my dad. I know he has a short fuse, but it’s close to the point where whenever he starts to scold me I start feeling breathless and my mind starts to go black. I bet I’m going to have an anxiety attack soon, because I can feel all this stress coming back once again. Every day it gets harder and harder to handle.